5 dead, 1 missing after floatplanes carrying cruise-goers collide in Alaska

Hits: 7

Emergency response crews transport an injured passenger to an ambulance at the George Inlet Lodge docks, Monday, May 13, 2019, in Ketchikan, Alaska. The passenger was from one of two float planes reported down in George Inlet early Monday afternoon and was dropped off by a U.S. Coast Guard 45-foot response boat.

Dustin Safranek | Ketchikan Daily News via AP

Five people are dead and one person is unaccounted for after two floatplanes carrying passengers from a cruise excursion collided mid-air in Alaska.

The two planes carried 14 passengers from a seven-day roundtrip cruise out of Vancouver, according to a statement Monday from Royal Princess Cruises. Both planes collided mid-air about eight nautical miles from Ketchikan, Alaska, at the southeastern end of the state at about 1 p.m. local time.

“We are incredibly distressed by this situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with those onboard the planes and their families,” the cruise company said. “Princess Cruises is extending its full support to traveling companions of the guests involved.”

More from NBC News:
China’s relationship with Africa is illustrated by garlic tensions
Palestinians say Trump envoy’s Twitter shows peace deal won’t be fair
The husband of ‘Saudi Arabia’s Rosa Parks’ has been detained. She refuses to be silent.

An Otter floatplane with 11 people onboard was returning from a Misty Fjords tour while a second Beaver floatplane carrying five people was on an independent tour.

Four cruise goers and one pilot are dead after the accident, Royal Princess Cruises confirmed Monday.

The Coast Guard has dispatched helicopters and boats for search and rescue operations. The U.S. Forest Service and Alaska State Troopers have also responded to the scene.

Ten people involved in the crash were rescued by a passing ship named the Saint Innocent. Three of those rescued were in serious condition and one was critical, a local hospital told NBC News. The others were in fair condition.

Taquan Air, the company which operated the De Havilland Otter plane, said in a statement that it has suspended all flights.

“We are devastated by today’s incident and our hearts go out to our passengers and their families,” Taquan Air said. “At this time, we are in the midst of an active crisis response, and our focus is on assisting these passengers, the pilot, our staff, their families and loved ones, and first responders.”

Read More Go To Source